Quakers Down Yale in Ivy Opener, 11-7

Box Score

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Last weekend, the University of Pennsylvania men's lacrosse team shook off a slow start to come back and beat UMBC at Franklin Field.

Saturday afternoon, playing at Yale's Reese Stadium, the 15th-ranked Quakers proved they had learned a lesson despite last week's win.

Penn broke a 1-1 tie with the last five goals of the first quarter and the first goal of the second, opening up a 7-1 lead that they never relinquished en route to an 11-7 victory. The Quakers are now 5-0 for the first time since 1977; Saturday's game was the Ivy opener for both teams.

Penn got on the board 2:25 into the contest when Patrick Rogers scored an unassisted goal, but Yale (2-3) answered on a goal by David Schecter just 32 seconds later. At that point, the Quakers took over. David Cornbrooks finished a feed from D.J. Andrzejewski, and then James Riordan scored two-straight goals to push the lead to 4-1. Alex Weber and Andrzejewski then hit the twine before the quarter ended, and when Drew Collins notched his first of the day more than three minutes into the second it was 7-1, Quakers.

Yale held Penn scoreless the rest of the half, but could only get two of the goals back, and the teams went to the half with the score 7-3.

Riordan tallied his third goal of the day to start the third quarter, and then Yale's Colin Neville and Cornbrooks traded man-up goals to make the score 9-4. More than five minutes passed before Riordan hit yet again, but the Bulldogs got that one back in the final minute of the third quarter thanks to Michael Karwoski.

Daniel Brillman cut Penn's lead to 10-6 with 11 minutes to play, but more than nine minutes passed before Yale scored again. Then Andrzejewski scored his second goal of the day to close things out.

Yale actually outshot Penn, 44-34, but Gregory Klossner had another big game in the goal for the Quakers, with 17 saves. At the other end, George Carafides had 11 stops.

Penn is back in action Tuesday night, traveling to Bucknell for a 7 p.m. meeting with the Bison.