Quakers Hold On vs. Bucknell, 6-4

Box Score

LEWISBURG, Pa. - The No. 14 Penn men's lacrosse team used a fast start once again Tuesday night, jumping out to a 5-0 halftime lead on 20th-ranked Bucknell. The Bison came back with four goals in the second half to draw within one, but the Quakers shut them down for the game's final 14 minutes and got a goal from David Cornbrooks as insurance to gain the 6-4 victory at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.

Penn improved to 6-0 with the victory and is off to its best start since 1977, while the Bison -- who defeated No. 1 Maryland a week ago -- fell to 3-4 and saw a two-game win streak snapped.

Penn dominated the first half as it took a 5-0 lead into halftime. The Quakers outshot the Bison 18-10 in the first half, but did not score their first goal until 6:45 was left in the first quarter. However, from that point theyproceeded to tally three goals in a 5:28 stretch bridging the first and second quarters. Four different players registered Penn's first four goals as Alan Eberstein, Luke Dixson, D.J. Andrzejewski and James Riordan found the back of the net. Riordan's was the first of two man-up goals for the Quakers.

With 47 seconds left in the first half, Riordan scored Penn's fifth goal and his second of the game. It was the final goal the high-powered Quaker offense -- whichwas averaging nearly 13 goals a game -- would score for more than 22 minutes.

After eating up more than two minutes of clock on its first possession of the second half, Bucknell (3-4) finally got on the board with 11:02 to play when Kirk Klett scored. Joe Mele,Bucknell's leading scorer, then netted a pair of goals less than four minutes apart to bring Bucknell to within two at the end of the third quarter.

Less than one minute into the final quarter, John Togneri wound up with a left-handed shot from the point position and fired the ball past a number of defenders to narrow the deficit to just one goal.

It appeared Penn went up 6-4 with just over nine minutes to play when Andrzejewski found the back of the net with a diving shot, but he was whistled for being in the crease. However, Cornbrooks scored on Penn's next possession to put the Quakers up by two.

In the final minutes Penn gained possession and called timeout as it nursed its two-goal lead. Matt Baran, Bucknell's goalie who made 10 saves, intercepted the first pass as play restarted to give the Bison another chance. However, Bucknell was unable to get a shot past Penn goalie Gregory Klossner, the reigning Ivy League Player of the Week, who stopped 11 shots in the game.

The game was played even statistically with Bucknell outshooting Penn 29-28 and winning the groundball battle by a slim 24-22 margin. The Bison also claimedeight of 12 faceoffs. However, the Quakers took advantage of four extra-man opportunities, scoring twice, while the Bison were 0-for-3.

Penn is now home for its next two games and gets into the Ivy League for its next four, beginning Saturday with Harvard. Faceoff from Franklin Field is scheduled for1 p.m.