Softball Splits a Doubleheader with Maine

CLEARWATER, Fla. – Junior Alexis Sargent tossed a complete-game, four-hit shutout to fuel a 3-0 win for the University of Pennsylvania softball team over Maine on Tuesday, salvaging a doubleheader split with the Black Bears at the Eddie C. Moore Softball Complex. Maine took Game One in thrilling fashion, pulling out a 10-9 win in 10 innings.

Inside the Numbers
Freshman Sam Pederson had a monster day at the plate, going five-for-eight with four RBI. Sydney Kranzmann added three hits in Game One, while Leah Allen drove in three runs. Lauren Li, Hayley Metcalf and Cedar Slovacek all chipped in a pair of knocks.

The Quakers tallied a combined 20 hits over the two contests, including a season-high 12 in Game One.

Game Two
Sargent battled for her second win of the season, striking out six and walking just three. She was especially calm in troublesome situations, making Maine leave seven runners on base.

It was a pitcher’s dual for much of Game Two, as the Red and Blue couldn’t find any offense until the sixth. Allen sparked the rally, leading off the frame with a triple down the right-field line. Following a walk to Sargent—and a fielder’s choice by Korinne Raby— Jurie Joyner came to bat with runners on second and third. Joyner rocked a line drive off the third baseman’s glove into left field, and Penn led 2-0.

Penn added an insurance run in the seventh, sparked once again by a triple. It was Lithis time, drilling a laser into right-center field. Allen followed with hard-hit fly ball to right field—good enough for a sacrifice fly.

Game One
It was a much different tone in Game One, which was a roller coaster until the very end.

It all began in the second inning, with Maine drilling a three-run home run to kick things off. Penn roared back in the bottom half of the inning, rattling off six runs.

Four straight hits, capped off by a RBI infield hit by Hayley Metcalf, put Penn on the board. Following a fielder’s choice, Sam Pederson came through with the first big knock of the day. Coming to the dish with the bases loaded, Pederson drilled a single through the left side to score two more.

Then, after a hit by pitch to Li loaded the bases for the second time in the inning, Allen launched a bases-clearing triple to right-center field and the Quakers took a 6-3 lead.

The Red and Blue added two more in the third, and it was once again Pederson at the forefront. With two outs and runners on second and third, the freshman roped a single to centerfield to give the Quakers an 8-3 lead.

Maine inched its way back—getting one in the fourth, two in the fifth and two in the sixth to tie the game at eight.

Following a scoreless seventh, the Quakers found themselves in their first extra-inning game of the season.

With a runner placed on second to start the inning for both teams, Penn and Maine each put one across in the eighth. It was an error from the Black Bears that yielded a Penn run.

The Red and Blue had a chance in the ninth, but Allen was doubled off second after a hard-hit liner from Joyner to center.

Maine plated the winning run in the 10th, off a pair of groundouts. The Quakers couldn’t answer the bell in the bottom half, and the Black Bears snagged Game One.

Up Next
The Quakers are right back at it tomorrow, taking on Butler at 11 a.m. and Northern Kentucky at 1 p.m.


Download: Maine Game 2.pdf