Sprint Football Preps for Post on Saturday

Follow @PennSprintFB

PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania sprint football team is back in action on Saturday, heading to Post University for a 12 p.m. kickoff in Week 2 of CSFL competition.

The Quakers are off to a 1-0 start following a 51-7 win over Franklin Pierce last weekend. Post is 0-1, looking to rebound from a 34-0 loss at Army West Point last week.

Penn was running on all cylinders offensively last week against Franklin Pierce, picking up 373 yards of offense – 321 yards of which came in the first half as Penn built a 41-0 lead.

Freshman running back Max Jones burst on to the scene with 130 yards rushing and two touchdowns to go with a receiving touchdown. His efforts earned him CSFL Offensive Player of the Week honors. Quarterback Mike McCurdy may have also been a viable weekly award candidate as he threw for 211 yards on 11-for-21 passing, connecting for three touchdown passes. He also had a running score.

Seven different receivers had a catch for Penn, led by Henry Mason who hauled in five passes for 109 yards and two touchdowns.

Hunter Heflin led the defense with eight tackles (five solo). Brendan Lilley had four solo tackles and forced three fumbles in the game.

As a team, Penn sacked the quarterback nine times last week against Franklin Pierce. Heflin had 1.5 sacks, and ten other players had at least of one.

Stu Helgeson was in on 3.5 tackles, but his big play was a 39-yard interception return for a touchdown – one of three picks for the Quakers.

Post had trouble containing the run against Army West Point last week, allowing 232 yards on the ground. On the flip side, Post mustered just 51 yards rushing on 28 carries (1.8 avg.)

Post gained some traction through the air, with 267 yards gained, but five interceptions curtailed any opportunity to score. Four of Post’s turnovers in the game came inside Army West Point territory.

Last year, Penn was defeated by Post at Franklin Field, 28-21. The Quakers trailed, 21-7, at halftime and closed within seven with three minutes to play. However, a late Quaker fumble negated any chance at completing the comeback.