New York, N.Y. - The Quakers had a chance down 3-2 midway through the match but they couldn't get the final two victories as they ended their season with a 5-2 loss at the hands of Columbia, Sunday in New York.
The Red and Blue lost the doubles point but captured two of the first four singles matches to put themselves in contention at 3-2. However, it wasn't meant to be as the team lost the final two points to fall to 12-7 overall and 1-6 in Ivy League action.
After losing all three doubles points, senior Hicham Laalej quickly dispatched of Columbia's Haig Schneiderman at the No. 1 spot. The 6-2, 6-2 win was his 15th of the season while he also improved to a team-best 5-2 in league play.
Penn's other singles victory came from freshman Nikola Kocovic. The first-year took down John Yetimoglu 6-4, 6-4. It was his sixth win at the No. 4 spot and he also improved to 5-2 within the Ivy League.
Trailing 3-2, the Quakers' Mark Milbrandt lost a tough two-set match at No. 5 and then senior Zach Gorn fell in three sets after coming back to capture the second set.
1. Hicham Laalej (PENN) def. Haig Schneiderman (COL) 6-2, 6-2
2. Kevin Kung (COL) def. Phil Law (PENN) 6-2, 6-4
3. Nathaniel Gery (COL) def. Ivan Turudic (PENN) 7-5, 6-0
4. Nikola Kocovic (PENN) def. John Yetimoglu (COL) 6-4, 6-4
5. Tizian Bucher (COL) def. Mark Milbrandt (PENN) 6-3, 7-5
6. Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) def. Zach Gorn (PENN) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 5*, 6
1. Yetimoglu/Gery (COL) def. Laalej/Mark Milbrandt (PENN) 8-4
2. Schneiderman/Sho Matsumoto (COL) def. Turudic/Law (PENN) 8-3
3. Cyril Bucher/Kung (COL) def. Zach Gorn/Kocovic (PENN) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1