PRINCETON, N.J. – The University of Pennsylvania lightweight rowing team concluded their fall campaign on Sunday making the short trek for the Princeton Chase on Lake Carnegie. The day marked the finale of three consecutive weekends of head races which included Navy Day, Head of the Charles and today’s Chase.
The day of racing began at 10 a.m. for the Quakers starting with the lightweight 8+ final. The Red and Blue ‘A’ boat led the Penn contingent with a second place finish, crossing the line in 13:14.368 to take silver and just over seven seconds behind Cornell for the top spot. The Quaker ‘B’ boat came in 15th (13:41.621), while the ‘C’ and ‘D’ groupings placed 24th and 28th respectively,
Just over two hours later, the freshman 8+ were next on the water and finished in 6th place in a time of 14:00.808. Berkeley, Princeton and Dartmouth took the podium spots in the event with first place earning a time of 13:22.062.
The final race of the day began at 1:30 p.m. and featured the lightweight 4+ finals and Penn had another four boats in action. Penn ‘A’ claimed another second place (15:03.463) in the event and was just nine seconds off Harvard’s (14:54.266) winning time of the afternoon. Penn ‘B’ placed 13th, while ‘C’ and ‘D’ came in 23rd and 27th.
The lightweights return to action for the spring cup season beginning on Saturday, April 1 when they host MIT on the Schuykill River.
Varsity Lightweight 8+
2. Penn A: (Liebes*, Roberts, Loum, Liu, Williams, Lieber, Ward, Ford, Howshall) – 13:14.368
15. Penn B: (Hansen*, Pratt, Konopka, Abram, Walsh, Armetta, Bowlby, Akar, Howell) – 13:41.621
24. Penn C: (Alifimoff*, Kern, Weaver, Klehm, Moses, Hoeltzel, Faustini, Mann, Genyk) – 14:17.234
28. Penn D: (Kafkes*, Cruser, Allan, Brennan, Ebner, Hamdi, Sim, Harrison, Clyde) – 14:30.419
Men’s Freshman Lightweight 8+
6. (Alifimoff*, Williams, Loum, Armetta, Kern, Sim, Bowlby, Allan, Brennan) – 14:00.808
Men’s Varsity Lightweight 4+
2. Penn A: (Lieber, Pratt, Ford, Roberts, Liebes*) – 15:03.463
13. Penn B: (Ward, Howshall, Konopka, Hansen*) – 15:47.227
23. Penn C: (Walsh, Weaver, Howell, Abran, Kafkes*) – 16:47.307
27. Penn D: (Blumenstein, Barton, Morldege, Jacobson, Alifimoff*) – 18:01.012