PHILADELPHIA – With the Quakers' opening match just two weeks away, the Kenneth L. Gross Head Coach of Penn Volleyball, Kerry Carr has officially announced juniors Kendall Covington and Sydney Morton as this year’s captains.
What They Are Saying…
“I am thrilled that Sydney and Kendall will lead our team this season. In addition to high-quality academic and volleyball acumen, they each bring a great deal of leadership and personal skills to our squad. Although these two have deservedly been named captains, it will take each member of this team to encourage one another and build each other up in order to ultimately achieve our goals this season.”
“Being named captain this year is quite the honor. It makes me extremely happy that my team has complete faith and trust in me to lead them in the right direction. I think I bring great vocal leadership on and off the court, and with my outgoing personality, it makes it easy for me to get along with everyone on the team.”
“I am so excited to have the opportunity to lead this team. We have a really special group this year, and I can't wait until preseason so we can start putting in the work. I have a great relationship with everyone on the team, and I know that if anyone needs anything, they feel that they can come to me and I will help any way I can.”
A Few Notes…
- Covington started 25-of-26 matches last season and led the squad in blocks (0.78).
- Covington also racked up 1.53 kills per set and a .257 hitting percentage.
- Morton appeared in 17 matches last season and ranked third on the team in assists.
- The Quakers begin the 2016 campaign at the Barcelona Labor Day Classic in Houston, Texas.
- Penn will face Toledo and Houston Baptist on Sept. 2, followed by matchups with North Florida and Northern Colorado on Sept. 3.
- The Quakers enter the 2016 season as the youngest team in the Ivy League.