Ria Vaidya and Lina Qostal tallied a 6-1 victory on court two, but the Red and Blue couldn't rally in the doubles point, ultimately dropping the opening stanza of the contest.
Things heated up in singles however, as Penn hunkered down to turn the match around. Kana Daniel was the first one done, recording her second ranked victory of the season, downing No. 49 Jessica Livianu 6-4, 6-1 on court one to even things up. Vaidya finished soon after, defeating Anna Morozova on court two, 6-3, 7-5.
The momentum would continue, as Qostal won her ninth-straight singles match on court four, defeating Zofia Santisz 6-4, 6-3, before freshman Ashley Zhu would clinch the match, winning on court three in straight sets after a retirement. Both Luba Vazhenina and Marta Kowalska would round out the clean sweep in singles, as both would win on courts five and six to punctuate the 6-1 victory. Kowalska's win was the seventh-straight for the sophomore.
The Quakers will take a break before Ivy League play, commencing against Princeton on Saturday, April 1 at 1 p.m. in Philadelphia.
Penn 6, St. John's 1
1. Jessica Livianu/Anna Morozova (St. John's) def. Kana Daniel/Ashley Zhu (Penn), 6-2
2. Ria Vaidya/Lina Qostal (Penn) def. Jaide Collins/Stephanie Elgegren (St. John's), 6-1
3. Zofia Stanisz/Olaya Inclan Solis (St. John's) def. Marta Kowalska/Luba Vazhenina (Penn), 6-4
1. Kana Daniel (Penn) def. #49 Jessica Livianu (St. John's), 6-4, 6-1
2. Ria Vaidya (Penn) def. Anna Morozova (St. John's), 6-3, 7-5
3. Ashley Zhu (Penn) def. Stephanie Elgegren (St. John's), 6-4, 5-2 ret.
4. Lina Qostal (Penn) def. Zofia Stanisz (St. John's), 6-4, 6-3
5. Luba Vazhenina (Penn) def. Olaya Inclan Solis (St. John's), 6-4, 7-6(5)
6. Marta Kowalska (Penn) def. Irina Preotescu (St. John's), 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3*), Singles (1,2,4,3*,5,6)
Team Records: Penn (7-6), St. John's (10-3)