Women's Soccer Overtaken by Navy, 2-1

Follow @PennWSoccer

PHILADELPHIA -The University of Pennsylvania women’s soccer team scored the first goal on Sunday at Rhodes Field, but Navy answered quickly and ultimately overcame the Quakers for a 2-1 win.

Penn’s two-match win streak came to an end as the Red and Blue fell to 5-4-2 overall; Navy is unbeaten in six, meanwhile, and improved to 8-3-4 overall.

Goalkeeper errors played a major role in both first-half goals.

Penn’s lead came via an own goal in the 17th minute. Erin Mikolai took a corner kick from the left side that Navy goalkeeper Dayton Wetherby attempted to punch out. Instead, the ball hit off her hand and went into the goal.

The Quakers’ lead lasted exactly 2:06. That was when Navy’s Caprice Kelly got the ball along the right side, beat her defender, and fired a shot from about 20 yardsthat Penn goalkeeper Kalijah Terilli allowed to go between her hands and legs and into the goal.

Navy’s lead came in the 65th minute. Morgan Dankanich was able to win control of the ball along the left side. She crossed it along the ground to the near post, where Lily Kraemer got to it ahead of a pair of Penn players and pushed it into the goal.

Penn pressed the play after that, and had two nice chances to equalize in the final five minutes. On the first, Jill Kennedylooped a shot from distance that looked like it might find its way inside the far post, but Navy goalkeeper Taygan Grundy -- a halftime replacement for Wetherby -- moved deftly to her right and dove to keep it out of the goal. Then, with just seconds remaining on the clock, Darby Mason took a shot from outside that bounced in front of Grundy, but she corralled it and kept it from rebounding to oncoming Penn players.

Penn hits the road for its next three matches, starting next Saturday when the Quakers are at Dartmouth for an Ivy League match. That match will kick off at 4:30 p.m. in Hanover, N.H., ahead of the Penn-Dartmouth men’s match at 7 p.m.

Download: Penn11 (Navy).pdf