Women's Soccer Shakes Off Dartmouth, 2-0

Box Score (PDF)

Kathryn Barth's postgame interview

PHILADELPHIA -The Penn women's soccer team looked a little lethargic on Saturday evening, but did enough to get by a game Dartmouth squad, 2-0, at Rhodes Field.

The Quakers improved to 11-2-0 on the season and won for the sixth game in a row, tying a program record set twice before (in 2007 and 2001). The 11 wins are the most by a Penn team since the 2007 squad won 13.

More importantly, Penn improved to 3-1-0 in the Ivy League on a day when two of the four teams that were tied for second lost. So now Penn enters the second half of conference play tied for second with Yale, at 3-1-0, a half-game behind Harvard (3-0-1). Coincidentally,the Quakers meet the Bulldogs next Saturday at 5 p.m. on Rhodes Field.

Penn's win on Saturday also pushed the Red and Blue's win streak at Rhodes Field to 11 games, and was their 10th shutout this season which is one shy of the school record set in 1997. Both the 1998 and 1999 teamsfinished their seasons with10 clean sheets.

Kathryn Barth was the hero on Saturday night. She scored twice, capping off a spectacular week that saw her score three goals and dish out three assists in two matches.

Penn almost immediately got on the board. In the first minute of action, Marin McDermott got to the touchline and sent the ball across. The cross was blocked by a Dartmouth defender but came right back to McDermott in a great shooting spot. However, her shot went well over the crossbar.

Dartmouth (3-9-0, 1-3-0) nearly got on the board midway through the stanza, but Chrissy Lozier's shot from in front was cleared off the line by Penn defender Colleen Barry and the rebound shot went harmlessly wide.

Penn's first goal came as the half-hour approached in the match. Ursula Lopez-Palm did well to win a Dartmouth goal kick near midfield, ran the ball all the way to the endline at the left corner of the goal box, and sent a cross along the ground. Barth was wide open in front of the goal and easily deposited a shot inside the left post, past Big Green goalkeeper Colleen Hogan.

That was most of the offense on this night -- Penn ended up with just seven shots in the game, including one in the second half. That one went in the goal, though, as Barth finished a sitter when Callan Parra headed Brianna Rano's corner kick to the left post of the goal where Barth was standing and waiting. The goal came in the 81st minute and provided welcome relief on a tense night.

Dartmouth, meanwhile, had just five shots in the game. Banks went the distance and was not called upon to make a stop.

Download: Penn13 (Dartmouth).pdf