Women's Soccer Ties Brown, 0-0

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Penn women's soccer team pitched another shutout Saturday at Brown, holding the Bears off the board for the Quakers' seventh straight clean sheet which ties a school record.

Unfortunately, Penn was unable to find the goal offensively, being shut out for just the second time this season. As a result, the teams ended in a 0-0 draw after 110 minutes of play in conditions thatwere sloppy at the startand only got worse as the match wore on.

The result was particularly unfortunate for the Red and Blue because, earlier in the day, Harvard scored a late goal to defeat Dartmouth in Cambridge, Mass., by a 2-1 score. The Crimson's win, coupled with the Quakers' tie, means that Harvard has clinched a share of the Ivy League championship at 5-0-1 (Penn is now 4-1-1 in Ivy play).

Penn can still gain a share of the title next weekend -- the Quakers must beat Princeton (whom they play Saturday on Rhodes Field at 5 p.m.) and hope that Harvard loses at Columbia (they kick off Saturday at 7 p.m.). However, regardless of what happens in those matches, Harvard has gained the Ivy's NCAA Championship automatic bid by virtue of beating Penn 2-0 on Sept. 23.

Penn (13-2-1) remains solidly in the hunt for an at-large bid into the 64-team NCAA field; the Quakers' Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) ranking was 65th at the start of this week, and since then they have gained a road win (Wednesday at Lehigh) and Saturday's road tie.

Penn's shutout on Saturday was its 13th this season, adding to a school record with the season finale against the Tigers still ahead.

After an even first half that saw both teams take seven shots -- although Penn hit the post with one of theirs --the Quakersdominated the second stanza. They outshot the Bears 11-1 in the 45-minute period, forcing Brown GK MC Barrett to make four saves, and also took six corner kicks while Brown had none.

It looked like all that pressure was going to pay off in the final seconds. With the clock nearing its demise, sophomore Kathryn Barth put a shot on goal that beat Barrett and looked like it might win the game. However, Brown defender Gloria Chun was able toget to theball before it crossed the line, kicking it awayas the clock expired.

The hosts were able to regain their legs in the OT sessions, outshooting Penn by a 3-1 margin and forcing Sarah Banks to make two of her four saves on the day. Barrett needed to stop Penn's only shot in OT, an effort by Megan York, and she also smothered a breakaway by Ursula Lopez-Palm before the senior could get the shot off in the first OT session.Barrett finished the game with eight saves.

Download: Penn16 (@Brown).pdf