PHILADELPHIA -- The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 on Friday, defeating Penn State 5-2 at Levy Pavilion. Sophomores Julia Koulbitskaya and Michelle Mitchell picked up wins in singles and doubles.
At No. 1 doubles, Yulia Rivelis and Alexis Plukas were downed by Lauren Holzberg and Sasha Abraham, 8-4. Penn avenged the loss by winning the next two matches to take the doubles point. Koulbitskaya and Mitchell defeated Andrea Niculescu and Katelyn BeVard, 8-2. Seniors Raluca Ciochina and Caroline Stanislawski beat Dorothy Dohanics and Jenny Shular 8-4 to clinch the point for the Red and Blue.
In singles, the Quakers picked up wins at the No. 1 and 2 spots as bothRivelis and Koulbitskaya won their matches in straight sets. Rivelis defeated Abraham 6-1, 6-0, while Koulbitskaya took down Niculescu 6-2, 6-0 for her first singles win of the season. In the No. 5 and 6 spots, freshman Alexis Plukas and Mitchell continued the trend by winning in straight sets. Plukas topped Shular 6-0, 6-3 for her first career match-play win, and Mitchell beat Dohanics 6-4, 6-4.
The Quakers will face a tough test Sunday when they host No. 71 Virginia at 10 a.m. at Levy Pavilion.
PENN 5 PENN STATE 2
1. Lauren Holzberg/Sasha Abraham (PSU) def. Yulia Rivelis/Alexis Plukas (P) 8-4
2. Julia Koulbitskaya/Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Andrea Niculescu/Katelyn BeVard (PSU) 8-2
3. Raluca Ciochina/Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Dorthy Dohanics/Jenny Shular (PSU) 8-4
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Sasha Abraham (PSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Andrea Niculescu (PSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Katelyn BeVard (PSU) def. Caroline Stanislawski (P) 6-4, 6-4
4. Lauren Holzberg (PSU) def. Raluca Ciochina (P) 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
5. Alexis Plukas (P) def. Jenny Shular (PSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Dorothy Dohanics (PSU) 6-4, 6-4