PRINCETON, N.J. - In a match that started outdoors and was forced inside due to rain, the University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team defeated Princeton 6-1 to open the Ivy League season. Penn won at the No. 2 and 3 spots in doubles to take the point then took five singles matches.
Yulia Rivelis and Julia Koulbitskaya lost to Jessica Siebel and Ivana King 8-4 at the No. 1 position. Alexis Plukas and Raluca Ciochina beat Darcy Robertson and Joanna Roth 8-5. Caroline Stanislawski and Michelle Mitchell followed up with an 8-5 win over Rankin Williams and Christine Kansky to clinch the doubles point.
In singles, the Quakers had to fight hard to win all five matches. Three of Penn's five wins went to three sets. Rivelis downed Robertson 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 at the No. 1 position. Koulbitskaya then disposed of Siebel 4-6,6-1, 6-0. After falling at No. 3, Plukas picked up another win for the Red and Blue by beating Kansky 7-6, 6-4. Seniors Caroline Stanislawski and Ciochina closed out the match by winning at the No. 5 and 6 spots. Ciochina won in straight sets and Stanislawski beat Roth 7-6, 2-6, 7-6.
Penn continues its Ivy League slate when it travels to Yale Friday at 2 p.m.
No. 42 Penn 6, Princeton 1
1. Jessica Siebel/Ivana King (PR) def. Yulia Rivelis/Julia Koulbitskaya (P) 8-4
2. Alexis Plukas/Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Darcy Robertson/Joanna Roth (PR) 8-5
3. Caroline Stanislawski/Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Rankin Williams/Christine Kansky (PR) 8-5
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Darcy Robertson (P) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
2. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Jessica Siebel (PR) 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
3. Ivana King (PR) def. Michelle Mitchell (P) 6-3, 6-2
4. Alexis Plukas (P) def. Christine Kansky (PR) 7-6, 6-4
5. Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Alison Hashmall (PR) 6-3, 7-5
6. Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Joanna Roth (PR) 7-6, 2-6, 7-6