PHILADELPHIA - The women's tennis team beat the Bulldogs 5-2, to improve to 2-0 in the Ivy League. Penn lost the doubles point, but came back to win five of the six singles matches to capture the win.
Sophomore Lenka Snajdrova and freshman Ekaterina Kosminskaya had Penn’s only win in doubles, as they beat Christine Alford and Olivia Nix in the No. 1 spot, 8-2. Maria Anismova and Yulia Rivelis lost in the No. 2 spot to Jessica Rhee and Sarah Lederhandler, 8-5, and Yale’s Lindsey Dashiell and Janet Kim took home an 8-6 win over Penn’s Julia Koulbitskaya and Amanda Avedissian.
The Quakers rebounded from the loss of the doubles point to take five singles wins from the Bulldogs. Kosminskaya had an easy win in the No. 1 singles spot, as she beat Kim, 6-3, 6-2. Koulbitskaya had a hard fought win in the No. 2 spot over Lederhandler, 6-4, 7-6(4). Rivelis had a win over Alford in the No. 3 spot after losing the first set, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. Junior Charlotte Tansill beat Olivia Nix in the No. 5 spot, 6-1, 6-3, and sophomore Lauren Sadaka beat Lilian Nguyen in the No. 6 spot, 6-4, 7-5. Penn’s only loss came at the No. 4 spot, as Snajdrova lost to Rhee, 6-2, 7-6.
With the win, the Quakers improved to 12-4 overall, and 2-0 in the Ivy League. Up next, they will take on Brown, Sunday at noon.
Penn 5, Yale 2
1) Lenka Snajdrova/Ekaterina Kosminskaya (Penn) def. Christine Alford/Olivia Nix (Yale), 8-2
2) Jessica Rhee/Sarah Lederhandler (Yale) def. Maria Anismova/Yulia Rivelis (Penn), L 8-5
2) Lindsey Dashiell/Janet Kim (Yale) def. Julia Koulbitskaya/Amanda Avedissian (Penn), 8-6
1) Ekaterina Kosminskaya (Penn) def. Janet Kim (Yale), 6-3, 6-2
2) Julia Koulbitskaya (Penn) def. Sarah Lederhandler (Yale), 6-4, 7-6(4)
3) Yulia Rivelis (Penn) def. Christine Alford (Yale), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
4) Jessica Rhee (Yale) def. Lenka Snajdrova (Penn), 6-2 7-6
5) Charlotte Tansill (Penn) def. Olivia Nix (Yale), 6-1, 6-3
6) Lauren Sadaka (Penn) def. Lilian Nguyen (Yale), 6-4, 7-5