RICHMOND, Va. - After losing to Vriginia Commonwealth on Saturday, the University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team defeated Richmond on Sunday 6-1. Penn won at the No. 1 and 2 spots in doubles and five of six singles matches.
Sophomores Michelle Mitchell and Julia Koulbitskaya defeated Beatrice Grasu and Robin Carter 8-5. Raluca Ciochina and Caroline Stanislawski lost to PamelaDuran and Ashlee Vosters 8-5 to set up the decisive match at No. 1. YuliaRivelis and Alexis Plukas pulled out the hard fought win over Meghan Wolfgram and Jessica Hubbard 8-6 to take the doubles point.
In singles, the Quakers won five matches and four in straight sets. Rivelis, Koulbitskaya, Plukas, Mitchell and Ciochina were all victorious.
The Red and Blue improve to 4-1 on the season. Penn will be off until next Saturday, Feb. 25 when they will travel to College Park, Md. to take on Maryland at 11 a.m.
PENN 6, RICHMOND 1
1. Yulia Rivelis/Alexis Plukas (P) def. Meghan Wolfgram/Jessica Hubbard (R),
2. Julia Koulbitskaya/Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Beatrice Grasu/Robin Carter
3. Pamela Duran/Ashlee Vosters (R) def. Caroline Stanislawski/Raluca Ciochina
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Beatrice Grasu (R), 6-4, 6-1
2. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Pamela Duran (R), 6-1, 6-2
3. Alexis Plukas (P) def. Meghan Wolfgram (R), 6-1, 6-4
4. Robin Carter (R) def. Caroline Stanislawski (P), 6-2, 4-1 (ret)
5. Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Xenia Schneider (R), 6-3, 2-6, (10-2)
6. Raluca Ciochina (P)def. Jessica Hubbard (R) 6-0, 6-3