PHILADELPHIA – Beginning its final weekend of the season and Ivy League play at No. 75 Cornell, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team claimed a 4-3 victory over the Big Red Friday afternoon.
Penn (9-8, 2-4 Ivy) picked up its second Ivy win on the road this season, after defeating No. 63 Harvard last weekend, 5-2.
Clinching the victory for Penn on Friday was senior Sol Eskenazi with a 6-7(4), 7-5, 7-5 three set singles win in the No. 1 position.
The Quakers picked up a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point with two 8-1 wins. Eskenazi and junior Sonya Latycheva won in the No. 1 position, while sophomore Luba Vazhenina and freshman Lina Qostal won in the No. 3 position.
Other singles wins for Penn came in the third position with Latycheva winning in straight sets 6-1, 6-1. Freshman Ria Vaidya picked up her fourth singles victory in Ivy play winning in the fifth position 6-3, 6-4.
Penn returns to Philadelphia to take on No. 46 Columbia Sunday afternoon beginning at 1 p.m. The Quakers will celebrate Senior Day, honoring their two seniors Sol Eskenazi and Alexandra Ion.
Penn 4, Cornell 3
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. D’Ascenzo/Tanenbaum, 8-1
2. Shah/L. Stewart (C) vs. Daniel/Vaidya, (DNF)
3. Qostal/Vazhenina (P) def. Cusick/Madison Stevens, 8-1
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Dena Tanenbaum, 6-7(4), 7-5, 7-5
2. Alexandra D’Ascenzo (C) def. Kana Daniel, 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-1
3. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Marika Cusick, 6-1, 6-1
4. Lizzie Stewart (C) def. Lina Qostal, 6-1, 6-0
5. Ria Vaidya (P) def. Jane Stewart, 6-3, 6-4
6. Priyanka Shah (C) def. Alexandra Ion, 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles - 1,3
Singles - 3,4,5,6,2,1