PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team dealt Philadelphia neighbor Drexel its first loss of the season, winning 7-0 Sunday afternoon inside the Hecht Tennis Center.
Penn (4-1) rebounded from its first loss of the season last Sunday at Old Dominion, with a dominating performance over the Dragons (9-1).
The Quakers won their fifth doubles point of the season picking up the top two matches. Senior Sol Eskenazi and freshman Lina Qostal teamed up for a 6-3 victory in the No. 1 spot, while junior Sonya Latycheva and sophomore Kana Daniel won 6-0 in the No. 2 position. The third doubles match went into a tiebreaker, where senior Alexandra Ion and sophomore Luba Vazhenina fell 6-5 (7-5).
Penn swept the singles matches, one through six, with Eskenazi, Daniel, Qostal, and Vazhenina winning in straight sets. Latycheva and Ion bot won in three sets.
Up next, the Red and Blue will host Richmond on Saturday inside the Hecht Tennis Center, beginning at 1 p.m.
Penn 7, Drexel 0
1. Eskenazi/Qostal (P) def. Pivonka/Rodriguez (D); 6-3
2. Latycheva/Daniel (P) def. Bowsher/Providence (D); 6-0
3. Winkler/Bunch (D) def. Ion/Vazhenina (P); 6-5 (7-5)
1. Eskenazi (P) def. Pivonka (D); 6-1, 6-1
2. Latycheva (P) def. Bowsher (D); 6-7(7), 6-0, 12-10
3. Daniel (P) def. Rodriguez (D); 6-2, 6-2
4. Qostal (P) def. Winkler (D); 6-2, 6-3
5. Vazhenina (P) def. Providence (D); 6-2, 6-4
6. Ion (P) def. Bunch (D); 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
Order of Finish
Doubles - 2, 1, 3
Singles - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6