PHILADELPHIA – After having its Friday match against Drexel postponed, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team hosted Maryland (3-0) in its second match of the spring season, falling to the Terrapins 4-2 Saturday afternoon inside the Levy Tennis Pavilion.
Penn (0-2) was unable to gain much momentum in the doubles matches to start the day, with the duos of Jaime Yapp-Shing and Sonya Latycheva and Stephanie Do and Alex Ion dropping matches. The number one duo of Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel were tied 5-5 when the match was halted.
Eskenazi and Daniel led the way for the Quakers in singles matches, with Eskenazi winning 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 1 position and Daniel cruising 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 2 position.
Penn was unable to muster much from the lower positions with Do and Ion both losing 6-2, 6-2. Brigitte Desnoes fell 6-4, 6-0 in the sixth position. Yapp-Shing did not finish her singles match.
Penn will welcome Akron to the Levy Tennis Pavilion, next Friday, Feb. 7 at 3 p.m.
Maryland 4, Penn 2
1. Eskenazi (Penn) def. Hovsepyan (Md.); 6-0, 6-3.
2. Daniel (Penn) def. Luus (Md.); 6-1, 6-0.
3. Yapp-Shing (Penn) vs. Stanova (Md.); 5-7, 3-4 DNF.
4. Bredikhina, N. (Md.) def. Do (Penn); 6-2, 6-2.
5. Bredikhina, O. (Md.) def. Ion (Penn); 6-2, 6-2.
6. Gaudreault (Md.) def. Desnoes (Penn); 6-4, 6-0.
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (Penn) vs. Luus/Hovsepyan (Md.), 5-5 DNF.
2. Stanova/Gaudreault (Md.) def. Yapp-Shing/Latycheva (Penn), 6-4.
3. Bredikhina, N./Bredikhina, O. (Md.) def. Do/Ion (Penn), 6-2.