PHILADELPHIA – Playing its second Ivy League match this season, the University of Pennsylvania tennis team was defeated, 7-0, by Yale Friday afternoon inside the Hecht Tennis Center.
Three singles matches went to third sets for Penn (7-6, 0-2 Ivy), but the Quakers were unable to pull out a win versus the Bulldogs (7-7, 1-0 Ivy).
Senior Sol Eskenazi pushed her match to three sets in the No. 1 position, winning the second set 6-4, before falling. Freshmen Ria Vaidya and Lina Qostal also went to three sets, with Vaidya winning her first before dropping the next two, and Qostal winning her second set, 6-2, before losing.
In doubles, the Quakers pushed Yale in the No. 3 position, with Qostal and sophomore Luba Vazhenina falling 8-6. Sophomore Kana Daniel and Vaidya were leading their doubles match 5-4, when it was halted once the Bulldogs clinched the point.
Penn will need to bounce back quickly, as the Quakers face Brown in Ivy play Saturday beginning at 2 p.m. The match will be played either outside at the Hamlin Tennis Center, or indoors in the Hecht Tennis Center depending on weather conditions.
Yale 7, Penn 0
1. Hamilton/Li, R. (Y) def. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P); 8-3
2. Daniel/Vaidya (P) vs. Yu/Shklover (Y); 5-4, DNF
3. Li, S./Finke (Y) def. Qostal/Vazhenina; 8-6
1. Yu (Y) def. Eskenazi (P); 6-4, 4-6, 2-2 (6)
2. Hamilton (Y) def. Daniel (P); 7-6, 6-3
3. Li, R. (Y) def. Vaidya (P); 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Amos (Y) def. Qostal (P); 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
5. Li, S. (Y) def. Vazhenina (P); 6-1, 7-5
6. Shklover (Y) def. Ion (P); 6-0, 6-1