PHILADELPHIA – Earning its third straight victory to begin the spring season, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team defeated Albany, 4-3, Friday afternoon inside the Hecht Tennis Center.
The Quakers claimed their second 4-3 victory this season, after defeating Philadelphia rival Temple by the same score in the spring opener.
Penn (3-0) picked up its third straight doubles point, winning the top two matches versus the Great Danes (3-2). Junior Sonya Latycheva and sophomore Kana Daniel collected a 6-2 win playing in the top spot, while the freshmen duo of Ria Vaidya and Lina Qostal won 6-3 in the second position.
Latycheva, Daniel, and Vaidya would also find success in singles play, with Daniel clinching the fourth poinin helping lead the Quakers to victory.
Playing in the No. 1 singles position, Latycheva defeated Albany’s Dajana Ognjenovic 6-4, 6-2. In the second spot, Daniel picked up a 6-3, 6-3 victory, while Vaidya won 6-1, 6-2 in the fifth position.
Up next, Penn will play on the road for the first time this spring, traveling to face Old Dominion at 11 a.m. on Sunday.
Penn 4, Albany 3
1. Latycheva/Daniel (P) def. Glumac/Sala (A); 6-2
2. Vaidya/Qostal (P) def. Scott/King (A); 6-3
3. Ognjenovic/Kukkonen (A) def. Ion/Berkman (P); 6-3
1. Latycheva (P) def. Ognjenovic (A); 6-4, 6-2
2. Daniel (P) def. Glumac (A); 6-3, 6-3
3. Sala (A) def. Qostal (P); 6-3, 6-4
4. Hermans (A) def. Ion (P); 3-6, 6-2, 10-3
5. Vaidya (P) def. Scott (A); 6-1, 6-2
6. King (A) def. Berkman (P); 7-6(8), 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles - 2, 3, 1
Singles - 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4