PHILADELPHIA – A weekday early start time didn’t hamper the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team, as it defeated Florida International University, 4-1, Friday afternoon inside the Hecht Tennis Center.
A well-earned victory for Penn (2-0), the Quakers led 3-1 overall, with three close matches remaining on court. It would be Quaker senior Sol Eskenazi clinching the victory in the top position with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 win.
Penn and FIU (2-2) played a competitive round of doubles with each team taking one match, 6-2, the Red and Blue’s coming from freshmen Lina Qostal and Ria Vaidya. The doubles point would be decided by the top match, where Eskenazi and sophomore Kana Daniel teamed up to claim the 1-0 lead for Penn, defeating the Panthers’ Nina Nagode and Nerma Caluk, 7-5.
After doubles, Ria Vaidya pushed the Quakers to a 2-0 lead overall, winning 6-3, 6-2 in the sixth position. Her effort was followed up by junior Sonya Latycheva winning in three sets, 2-6, 6-0, 6-1. The two other matches on court at the time of Eskenazi’s clincher were Lina Qostal in the fourth position, leading in her third set, and Kana Daniel in the second position, heading into a third set before being brought to a halt.
The Quakers will play their third straight home match to start the spring, returning to action next Friday at 4 p.m. against Albany.
Penn 4, FIU 1
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (P) def. Nagode/Caluk (F); 7-5
2. Qostal/Vaidya (P) def. Orlando/Briceno (F); 6-2
3. Koroleva/Brozovich (F) def. Latycheva/Vazhenina (P); 6-2
1. Eskenazi (P) def. Koroleva (F); 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
2. Daniel (P) vs. Orlando (F); 6-3, 6-7(7) – DNF
3. Latycheva (P) def. Caluk (F); 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
4. Qostal (P) vs. Nagode (F); 1-6, 6-3, 4-2 – DNF
5. Brozovich (F) def. Ion (P); 6-3, 6-2
6. Vaidya (P) def. Briceon (F); 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles - 3, 2, 1
Singles - 6, 3, 5, 1 (2, 4 DNF)