PHILADELPHIA - Penn's women's tennis team fell to the Georgetown Hoyas 5-2 Sunday afternoon at the Quakers' Levy Pavilion. With the loss, the Red and Blue now hold a 1-1 record.
The Quakers started off strong in doubles play, taking two of the three matches. Daniela DePaoli and Emma Whitfield topped the Hoyas' Samantha Martin and Alex Sebia, 8-3, while Charlotte Ezratty and Rose Schlecker earned an 8-4 win over Elizabeth Sullivan and Caroline Kuehn.
However, Georgetown stormed back from there winning all but one match in the singles lineup. Matched up again, Ezratty defeated Kuehn for the second time in the afternoon by scores of 7-6 (4) and 6-3, for Penn's lone singles win.
Jules Rodin, Whitfield, and Schlecker all had tight, three setmatches that unfortunatley did not turn out the way they would have liked. After being downa set and one game away from defeat, Rodin made a triumphant comeback in her match with Martin. Rodin battled back to win the second set 7-6 (4), and force a third. Unfortunately she could not sustain the momentum for the victory, falling 6-2. Whitfield also forced a third set with a tie-breaker win in the second.
The Quakers are back in action Saturday when they host Saint Joseph's at1 p.m. at the Levy Pavilion.
1. Sekely/Greco (G) def. Ely/Rodin (P), 8-7 (3)
2. DePaoli/Whitfield (P) def. Martin/Sebia (G), 8-3
3. Ezratty/Schlecker (P) def. Sullivan/Kuehn (G), 8-4
1. Victoria Sekely (G) def. Alexa Ely (P), 6-4, 6-4
2. Lauren Greco (G) def. Daniela DePaoli (P), 6-0, 6-4
3. Samantha Martin (G) def. Jules Rodin (P), 6-1, 6-7 (4), 6-2
4. Charlotte Ezratty (P) def. Caroline Kuehn (G), 7-6 (4), 6-3
5. Alex Sebia (G) def. Emma Whitfield (P), 6-2, 6-7 (3), 6-3
6. Jacquie Harrison (G) def. Rose Schlecker (P) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4