COLLEGE PARK, Md. The University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team lost to No. 34 Maryland 5-2 on Saturday. The Quakers could only manage wins in No. 3 doubles, No. 1 and 6 singles.
Penn lost the doubles pointfalling to the Terps at the No .1 and 2 spots. Caroline Stanislaski and Michell Mitchell won at the No. 3 spot. They defeated Julia Graca and Masha Senic 8-5.
Yulia Rivelis won at No. 1 singles defeating Marianne Baker 2,-6, 6-0, 6-3. However the Red and Blue lost the next four matches, their next win did not come until Senior Raluca Ciochina downed Graca 8-5, but Maryland already had the match wrapped up.
Penn drops to 4-2 on the season. The Quakers will head west for their next four matches during spring break. Next up will be at UC Irvine on Sunday, March 5 at 11 a.m.
MARYLAND 5, PENN 2
1. Marianne Baker/Neda Mihneva (M) def. Alexis Plukas/Yulia Rivelis (P) 8-3
2. Jennifer Dent/Michal Amir (M) def. Julia Koulbitskaya/Raluca Ciochina (P) 8-3
3. Caroline Stanislawski/Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Julia Graca/Masha Senic (M) 8-4
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Marianne Baker (M) 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. Veronika Subertova (M) def. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
3. Neda Mihneva (M) def. Alexis Plukas (P) 6-1, 6-4
4. Jennifer Dent (M) def. Michelle Mitchell (P) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Michal Amir (M) def. Caroline Stanislawski (P) 6-2, 6-2
6. Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Julia Graca (M) 8-5