NEW YORK, N.Y. By now it has become the norm. With a 4-3 victory over Columbia on Sunday, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team finishes the Ivy League season 6-1 and holds sole possession of second place. Under head coach Michael Dowd it marks the fifth time (fourth consecutive) that Penn has finished second and the third time the Quakers have gone 6-1 in the Ancient Eight.
The Red and Blue swept the doubles point to get out to a 1-0 lead. However, Penn got into trouble losing at the top three spots in singles. The bottom of the order picked up three wins to solidify the victory.
At No. 4, Alexis Plukas defeated Molly Condit 6-3, 6-4. In their final regular season match, seniors Raluca Ciochina and Caroline Stanislawski picked Penn up winning at the Nos. 5 and 6 spots. Ciochina downed Lauren Shearer 6-3, 6-1 and Stanislawski beat Kara Worsley 6-2, 6-3.
The Quakers improve to 12-5 on the season and 6-1 in the Ivy League.
Penn will await the outcome of Harvard’s final two matches to determine their fate. Harvarddefeated Brown 7-0 on Sunday. The Crimson close out the season at Dartmouth on Tuesday. Two different scenarios could happen. If the Crimson lose on Tuesday it would force a one-game playoff at a site and date to be determined. If the Crimson win out, they would win the Ivy title and the Quakers would await an at-large bid into the NCAA tournament. The tournament announcement will take place on Wednesday, May 3 at approximately 8:45 p.m. on ESPNNEWS. Check back to www.pennathletics.com for more information.
No. 43 Penn 4, Columbia 3
1. Julia Koulbitskaya/Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Milena Kachar/Eunice Chao (C) 8-6
2. Alexis Plukas/Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Marlene Hall/Kara Worsley (C)8-5
3. Michelle Mitchell/Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Angela Hendry/Nina Suda (C)8-6
1. MilenaKachar (C) def. Yulia Rivelis (P)1-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Angela Hendry (C) def. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) 6-2, 6-4
3. Sydney Murray (C) def. Michelle Mitchell (P)6-3, 2-6, 10-2
4.Alexis Plukas(P) def. Molly Condit (C)6-3, 6-4
5. Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Lauren Shearer (C)6-3, 6-1
6. Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Kara Worsley (C)6-2, 6-3