PHILADELPHIA – In a 7-0 sweep of George Washington the Penn women’s squash team picked up its first win of the season Friday afternoon at Levy Tennis Pavilion. The Quakers improve to 1-3, while the Colonials drop to 2-3.
The Quakers took the doubles point by winning all three matches to begin the day. Doubles partners Jacqueline Wong and Jordyn Shaffer downed their opponent 8-2, along with the Penn duo of Lauren Sadaka and Maria Anisimova. No. 1 doubles team Ekaterina Kosminskaya and Alexa Ely outpowered Nadia Demidenko/JackieCorba to win, 8-6.
Penn dominance continued through the singles matches as the Quakers won matches two through six in just two sets. Wong did not give up a game in her defeat of Verena Knoedler (6-0, 6-0). Kosminskaya was forced to take her match to three sets before she prevailed at the No. 1 match. Kosminskaya won the first set, 6-1, before Nadia Demidenko tied the match up 1-1. Kosminskaya preserved the sweep for Penn with a 7-6 decision in the final set. Shafferwon her first collegiate match when she easily downed Michelle Style (6-1, 6-1).
The Quakers will finish the weekend Maryland on Sunday at noon.
Penn def. George Washington (7-0)
1. Ekaterina Kosminskaya/Alexa Ely def. Nadia Demidenko/JackieCorba(8-6)
2. Lauren Sadaka/Maria Anisimova def. Meg Tyner/Zoe Khron (8-3)
3. Jacqueline Wong/Jordyn Shaffer beat Jenn Hirsh/Michelle Style (8-2)
1. Kosminskaya beat Demidenko (6-1, 0-6, 7-6 (2))
2. Anisiomva beat Corba (6-4, 6-3)
3. Sadaka beat Hirsh (6-0, 6-3)
4. Ely beat Khron (6-1, 6-2)
5. Wong beat Knoedler (6-0, 6-0)
6. Shaffer beat Style (6-1, 6-1)