PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team won its second match of the weekend, and the year on Sunday afternoon,defeating Rutgers, 6-1.
After beating Akron 6-1 on Friday afternoon, Penn (2-2, 0-0 Ivy) was able to jump out to a 1-0 start for the second consecutive match, sweeping the Scarlet Knights in doubles play.
In singles play the Quakers were able to take five of six matches from Rutgers (2-1). Sol Eskenazi won in the No. 1 position in a second-set tiebreak, while Kana Daniel won in the No. 2 position.
Sophomore Sonya Latycheva picked up her first singles win of the spring in the third-position, with Jaime Yapp-Shing winning in the fourth position, and Alex Ion winning in three sets to conclude the days matches.
Penn’s next matches will be the first away from Philadelphia this spring. The Quakers will travel to State College, Pa. to take on Marshall on Saturday at 2 p.m., and host Penn State on Sunday at 12 p.m.
Penn 6, Rutgers 1
1. Eskenazi (P) def. Petrini (R); 6-0, 7-6 (3).
2. Daniel (P) def. Li (R); 6-2, 6-4.
3. Latycheva (P) def. Zein (R); 6-3, 6-0.
4. Yapp-Shing (P) def. Balasa (R); 6-2, 6-0.
5. Kayati (R) def. Do (P); 6-3, 3-6, 10-7.
6. Ion (P) def. Cunningham (R); 4-6, 7-6 (8), 10-4.
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (P) def. Li/Kayati (R); 6-1.
2. Latycheva/Yapp-Shing (P) def. Balsamo/Zein; 6-2.
3. Do/Ion (P) def. Petrini/Cunningham; 7-6 (9-7).