FRESNO, Calif. - With a 7-0 loss to 37th-ranked Fresno State on Wednesday, the Penn women's tennis team lost its second match of its California spring. Despite some moments that looked to go either way, the Bulldogs were able to use their home court advantage to preserve the sweep.
Fresno State started the night by sweeping the doubles matches. The top-ranked tandem of Anastasia Petukhova and Renata Kucerkova defeated Ekaterina Kosminskaya and Emily Wolf, 8-3. Jacqueline Wong and Alexa Ely fought hard during their doubles match, but Laura Pola and Danon Beatty pulled out a tightly-contested 8-7 (11-9) to complete the sweep.
Maria Anisimova, Lauren Sadaka and Wong’s matches were all tough three set matches that went in Fresno State’s favor.
The Bulldogs clinched the match when Beatty beat Jordyn Shaffer in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2.
The Quakers are back on the court Friday to play Arizona at 3 p.m. (eastern time)
No. 37 Fresno State def. Penn 7-0
Doubles (Fresno State wins doubles point)
1. No. 1 Petukhova/Kucerkova (FS) def. Kosminskaya/Wolf (PENN) 8-3
2. No. 9 Rowe/Gloria (FS) def. Anisimova/Sadaka (PENN) 8-0
3. Beatty/Pola (FS) def. Wong/Ely (PENN) 8-7 (11-9)
Order of Completion: 2, 1, 3
1. Melanie Gloria (FS) def. Ekaterina Kosminskaya (PENN) 6-0 retired
2. Anastasia Petukhova (FS) def. Maria Anisimova (PENN) 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3
3. Renata Kucerkova (FS) def. Lauren Sadaka (PENN) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
4. Tinesta Rowe (FS) def. Alexa Ely (PENN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Laura Pola (FS) def. Jacqueline Wong (PENN) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Danon Beatty (FS) def. Jordyn Shaffer (PENN) 6-0, 6-2