SAN DIEGO - Penn won the doubles point for the fourth time in five matches this season, but were not able to win the overall match, losing a close one to San Diego State, 4-3, on Saturday.
Sophomore Ekaterina Kosminskaya had the best day for the Quakers, winning her doubles match with partner Yulia Rivelis and also securing a point with a win at number one singles over #86 Julia Trunk.
Julia Koulbitskaya and Amanda Avedissian were also victorious in doubles, playing at number three, to win the point for Penn.
Senior Charlotte Tansill had the other win for the Red and Blue, taking the match at number four singles, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4, over Milana Yusupov. Her win tied the match at 3-3, before the Aztecs won the final point at number six singles.
Here are the final results:
#72 San Diego State 4, Penn 3
Aztec Tennis Center (San Diego, Calif.)
1. Ekaterina Kosminskaya/Yulia Rivelis (Penn) def. Kathryn Kitts/Sisse Nielsen (SDSU), 8-6
2. Holly Bagshaw/Eliska Krausova (SDSU) def. Maria Anisimova/Charlotte Tansill (Penn), 9-8(3)
3. Amanda Avedissian/Julia Koulbitskaya (Penn) def. Milana Yusupov/Esther Cadua (SDSU), 8-6
Penn wins doubles point
1. Ekaterina Kosminskaya (Penn) def. #86 Julia Trunk (SDSU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Holly Bagshaw (SDSU) def. Yulia Rivelis (Penn), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Eliska Krausova (SDSU) def. Julia Koulbitskaya (Penn), 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
4. Charlotte Tansill (Penn) def. Milana Yusupov (SDSU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Esther Cadua (SDSU) def. Michelle Mitchell (Penn), 6-0, 6-0
6. Sisse Nielsen (SDSU) def. Lauren Sadaka (Penn), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6
The Quakers are back in action Mondau, March 10 at 4:30 p.m EST. at UC-Irvine.