NEW YORK - In a fight for both teams' first Ivy League win of the season, Columbia came out on top, defeating the Penn women's tennis team5-2 Friday afternoon at Dick Savitt Tennis Center. The Quakers fell to 4-14 overall and 0-6 in Ivy play, while the Lions improved to 10-12 overall and 1-6 against the Ancient Eight.
Columbia took the doubles point, winning at the one and three spots. The duo of freshman Jules Rodin and sophomore Emily Wolf won their match in the two spot, 9-8.
Senior Jacqueline Wong topped Katarina Kovacevic at No. 4 singles, 6-2, 6-4,for her fifth win of the spring.
In No. 1 singles, junior Alexa Ely's match with Nicole Bartnik came down to the wire. After the match had already been clinched by Columbia, Ely chose to bypass the official's offer to go to a super tiebreaker, and go to a full third set; a decision that payed off for Penn's No. 1. Ely fell in the first set 6-1, recovered to win the second 7-5, and peresevered to clinch the win 7-5 in the third.
The Quakers close out their season Sunday with one last match against Cornell on Penn's Lott Courts at 2 p.m. It will mark senior Jacqueline Wong's last playing in a Penn uniform.
Columbia 5, Penn 2
1. Bartnik/Donovan (COL) def. Ely/Wong (P), 8-4
2. Rodin/Wolf (P) def. Matache/Davis (COL), 9-8 (11-9)
3. Makarova/Kovacevic (COL) def. DePaoli/Whitfield (P), 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1*, 2
1. Alexa Ely (P) def. Nicole Bartnik (COL) , 1-6, 7-5, 7-5
2. Chelsea Davis (COL) def. Emily Wolf (P), 6-2, 6-1
3. Natasha Makarova (COL) def. Jules Rodin (P), 6-4, 6-3
4. Jacqueline Wong (P) def. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) , 6-2, 6-4
5. Eliza Matache (COL) def. Daniela DePaoli (P), 6-0, 6-4
6. Carling Donovan (COL) def. Emma Whitfield (P), 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5, 3,* 6, 1