CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – It was a well-earned first Ivy League victory of 2015 for the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team as the Quakers defeated No. 63 Harvard, 5-2, on the road Saturday afternoon.
Along with being Penn’s (8-7, 1-3 Ivy) first win over an Ivy opponent this season, it was also its first victory over a ranked opponent this spring.
The Quakers took control of the match over Harvard (7-8, 0-3 Ivy) right away in doubles play.
Four Penn tennis players pushed the Red and Blue to victory over the Crimson – senior Sol Eskenazi, junior Sonya Latycheva, sophomore Kana Daniel, and freshman Ria Vaidya.
Taking control of the contest early in doubles, Penn claimed the top two matches 8-6 and 8-5. Eskenazi and Latycheva were paired together in the top spot, while Daniel and Vaidya played in the second position.
In singles competition, the Quakers took the top three matches, with Eskenazi, Daniel, and Latycheva picking up victories. Daniel and Latycheva won in straight sets, while Eskenazi won in three sets. Penn’s other singles victory came from Vaidya, winning in three sets in the No. 5 position.
Senior Alexandra Ion pushed her singles match to three sets in the sixth position, before falling.
Penn will look to continue building momentum in the league, playing at No. 37 Dartmouth on Sunday beginning at 12 p.m.
Penn 5, Harvard 2
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Lin, M./Ringblom (H); 8-6
2. Daniel/Vaidya (P) def. Jang-Milsten, He (H);8-5
3. Lee/Lin, A. (H) def. Qostal/Vazhenina (P); 8-4
1. Eskenazi (P) def. Lin, M. (H); 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
2. Daniel (P) def. Ringblom (H); 7-6(5), 6-1
3. Latycheva (P) def. Lee (H); 6-4, 6-0
4. Jang-Milsten (H) def. Qostal (P); 7-6(4), 6-1
5. Vaidya (P) def. He (H); 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Lin, A. (H) def. Ion (P); 1-6, 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5