PHILADELPHIA – It was an early test for the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team, as it came down to the final match in the Quakers 4-3 victory over Temple Friday afternoon at the Hecht Tennis Center.
Freshman Lina Qostal played the hero for the Quakers (1-0) in the spring opener, clinching the overall match point in the third set 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-3. Qostal also won her doubles match, teaming up with senior Sol Eskenazi to win 6-2 in the top doubles position.
As a team, Penn was led by its freshman against the Owls (2-2), with Qostal, Ria Vaidya, and Nicole Berkman combining to go 5-0 on the afternoon. Qostal and Vaidya won both their doubles match and their singles match, Qostal in the fourth position and Vaidya in the sixth position, while Berkman won her match 6-0, 6-4 playing in the seventh position in singles.
Junior Sonya Latycheva won her singles match in the second position with a very physical and dynamic performance, 6-4, 6-4.
The Quakers return to action at home on Feb. 6, when they host Florida International. The match start time is to be announced.
Penn 4, Temple 3
1. Eskenazi/Qostal (P) def. Abdurakhimova/Karina (T); 6-2
2. Daniel/Vaidya (P) def. Nussaume/Breland (T); 6-2
3. Okajima/Bedon (T) def. Latycheva/Ion (P); 6-2
1. Abdurakhimova (T) def. Daniel (P); 6-2, 6-2
2. Latycheva (P) def. Karina (T); 6-4, 6-4
3. Nussame (T) def. Vazhenina (P); 6-4, 6-3
4. Qostal (P) def. Khon (T); 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-3
5. Willis (T) def. Ion (P); 6-4, 6-4
6. Vaidya (P) def. Bedon (T); 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish
Doubles - 2, 3, 1
Singles - 1, 2, 6, 3, 5, 4