PHILADELPHIA - The Penn women's tennis team came up just short as the Temple Owls took the 4-3 victory Tuesday evening at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. Both teams evened their records to 2-2.
Sophomore Daniela DePaoli and freshman Emma Whitfield defeated Temple's Theresa Stangl and Katharina Mittag in the third match of doubles, 8-6, but the Owls earned the point with wins over duos Emily Wolf and Jules Rodin, and Alexa Ely and Charlotte Ezratty, for the early lead.
Evenly matched, the Quakers and Owls split the singles matches. For Penn, Ely and Wolf both had strong matches in the number one and two positions. Ely topped Anastasiia Rukayshnykova 6-4, 7-5, while Wolf persevered to overcome Lucie Pazderova 6-2, 7-6 (5). DePaoli won her second match of the evening in three sets, taking the first easily, 6-1. Despite a 0-6 lapse in the second, she came back to win the point 6-3.
The Quakers are back in action Saturday when they host George Washington University at 11 a.m. at the Levy Tennis Pavilion.
1. Rukayshnykova/Pazderova (T) def. Wolf/Rodin (P) 8-1
2. Cramer/Johnson (T) def. Ely/Ezratty (P) 8-6
3. DePaoli/Whitfield (P) def. Stangl/Mittag (T) 8-6
1. Alexa Ely (P) def. Anastasiia Rukayshnykova (T) 6-4, 7-5
2. Emily Wolf (P) def. Lucie Pazderova (T) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
3. Theresa Stangl (T) def. Jules Rodin (P) 6-2, 6-4
4. Daniela DePaoli (P) def. Mellana Cramer (T) 6-1, 0-6, 6-3
5. Katharina Mittag (T) def. Charlotte Ezratty (P) 6-2, 6-1
6. May Johnson (T) def. Emma Whitfield (P) 6-3, 6-1