PHILADELPHIA - The Penn women's tennis team picked up their second straightIvy win when they defeated,4-3Cornell on Saturday in Ithaca, N.Y. This win will close out the season for the Quakers as they will finish the season 3-14 overall and 2-5 in the Ivy League. The Red and Blue lost the doubles point, but rallied back to claim matches No. 1 thru No. 4 for the win.
In doubles play, Natalia Sanchez and Elizabeth Googe teamed up to defeat Lauren Sadaka and Emily Wolf, 8-6 at the No. 1 position. At No. 2, Shayna Miller and Stephanie Kent picked up a 9-7 win over Maria Anisimova and Alexa Ely. Sinziana Chis and Ruxandra Dumitrescu completed the sweep with an 8-1 victory over Jacqueline Wong and Vidya Dabir at No. 3 doubles.
Behind 1-0 heading into the singles matches, the Quakers need to win four of the six singles matches to be able to overcome the Big Red. Once again, Sadaka proved why she is senior captain as she downed Kent in three matches in her final match in a Quaker uniform. Sadaka dropped her first set, but fought back to take the next two (3-6, 7-5, 6-1).
Anisimova easliy picked up a win at No. 1 by defeating Sanchez in two easy sets (6-2, 6-4), while Ely won her own match in simulary style (6-3, 6-4). Wolf won her match at No. 4 by taking the tiebreaker in both the first and second set.
1. Sanchez/Googe (Cornell) def. Sadaka/Wolf, 8-6
2. Miller/Kent (Cornell) def. Anisimova/Ely, 9-7
3. Chis/Dumitrescu (Cornell) def. Wong/Dabir, 8-1
1. Anisimova (Penn) def. Sanchez, 6-2, 6-4
2. Sadaka (Penn) def. Kent, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. Ely (Penn) def. Googe, 6-3, 6-4
4. Wolf (Penn) def. Miller, 7-6 (7), 7-6 (0)
5. Chis (Cornell) def. Wong, 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
6. Dumitrescu (Cornell) def. Dabir, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4