PHILADELPHIA In their final home match this season, the No. 43 University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team made quick-work of Cornell winning 6-1. Penn clinched the match on the third singles point.
Julia Koulbitskaya and Yulia Rivelis picked up their eighth win of the season beating Elizabeth Googe and Shanya Miller 8-2. Alexis Plukas and Raluca Ciochina downed Kasia Preneta and Liying Wang 8-6. Michelle Mitchell and Caroline Stanislawski picked up a win, defeating Mollie Edinson and Catherine Duboc 8-4.
The Quakers ended the singles point just three matches in. Mitchell picked up the first point 2-1 due to an injury to Tamara John. Rivelis got the Red and Blue one point closer with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Edinson. Koulbitskaya wrapped things up by taking Preneta 6-2, 6-2.
Ciochina and Stanislawski also won their matches in straight sets. Along with Sara Schiffman, it was the final time these three seniors played on Lott Courts.
Penn improves to 11-5 overall and 5-1 in the Ancient Eight. Cornell drops to 9-7 for the season and 2-4 in Ivy play.
The Quakers head to Columbia to complete the Ivy League season on Sunday at 2 p.m. With a win, Penn would clinch sole possession of second place.
Penn 6, Cornell 1
1. Julia Koulbitskaya/Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Elizabeth Googe/Shanya Miller (C) 8-2
2. Alexis Plukas/Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Kasia Preneta/Liying Wang (C) 8-6
3. Michelle Mitchell/Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Mollie Edinson/Catherine Duboc (C) 8-4
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Mollie Edinson (C) 6-1, 6-4
2. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Kasia Preneta (C) 6-2, 6-3
3.Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Tamara John (C) 2-1, default
4.Catherine Duboc (C) def. Alexis Plukas (P) 6-3, 6-4
5. Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Elizabeth Googe (C) 6-2, 6-4
6.Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Liying Wang (C) 6-3, 6-3