PHILADELPHIA- The Penn women's tennis team closed out its 2009-10 season Sunday afternoon in the Levy Tennis Pavilionwith a 6-1 loss to Cornell. The Quakers finish with a 4-15 overall record and 0-7 markagainst the Ancient Eight, while Cornellends 12-10 overall and 2-5 in the Ivy League.
At No. 2 doubles, freshman Jules Rodin and sophomore Emily Wolf edged the team of Sarah O'Neil and Christine Ordway, 9-7. Although, Cornell won the point with wins at one and three.
The highlight of the afternoon came in the last match to be completed; a showdown between Jacqueline Wong and Natalia Sanchez at No. 3 singles. All eyes were on the sole Penn senior on the courts in her last collegiate match, as she battled back from a set deficit, falling 5-7 in the first. She recovered to win the second, 6-3, and force a tiebreaker. Wong gave everything she had to end her career with a victory, winning 12-10.
Cornell 6, Penn 1
1. Sanchez/Lim (C) def. Ely/Wong (P), 8-5
2. Rodin/Wolf (P) def. O'Neil/Ordway, 9-7
3. Dumitrescu/Sullivan (C) def. DePaoli/Whitfield (P), 8-2
1. Christine Ordway (C) def. Alexa Ely (P), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
2. Kristin Lim (C) def. Emily Wolf (P), 6-2, 5-7, 10-4
3. Jacqueline Wong (P) def. Natalia Sanchez (C), 5-7, 6-3, 12-10
4. Susan Sullivan (C) def. Jules Rodin (P), 6-2, 6-1
5.Sarah O'Neil (C) def. Daniela DePaoli (P), 6-3, 6-0
6.Ruxandra Dumitrescu (C) def. Rose Schlecker (P), 6-1, 6-3