FRESNO, Calif. The Penn women’s tennis dropped its final two matches in California, 6-1. The Quakers fell to Arizona on Friday, followed by Sacramento State on Saturday. In Penn’s match versus Arizona Jacqueline Wong picked up the lone point, while Ekaterina Kosminskaya was Penn’s lone win in the Sacramento match.
The Wildcats jumped out to an early lead by securing the doubles points with winning all three of the matches. In the No. 5 match, Wong easily picked up the first set, but was forced battle in the second to prevent the sweep for Arizona. Wong pulled through to defeat Clair Rietsch (6-2, 7-5).
In Penn’s final match in California the Quakers were slated to play No. 34 Sacramento State. The Quakers were unable to upset the higher-ranked Hornets, falling 6-1. The Hornets swept the doubles match to go ahead 1-0. The Quakers were able to avoid the sweep, when Kosminskaya defeated Aileen Tsan at the No. 1 match.
The Quakers are back on the court March 28, when they host Princeton to start their Ivy League season. The match is set for 12 p.m. at Lott Courts.
Arizona def. Penn (6-1)
1. Marks/Rietsch def. Anisimova/Sadaka 8-3
2. Steinberg/Landsman def. Ely/Wong 8-0
3. Masschelein/ Huh def. Wolf/Shaffer 8-6
1. Steinberg def. Ekaterina Kosminskaya 6-3 6-1
2. Marks def. Maria Anisimova 6-2 6-2
3. Landsman def. Alexa Ely 6-1 6-2
4. Masschelein def. Emily Wolf 6-1 1-0 default
5. Jacqueline Wong def. Rietsch 6-2 7-5
6. Castany def. Jordyn Shaffer 6-4 6-2
Sacramento State def. Penn (6-1)
1. SCHIFRIS /VALENZUELA (SAC) def. ANISIMOVA/SADAKA (PENN) 8-2
2. BACA/MARTINEZ (SAC) def. ELY/WONG (PENN) 8-3
3. MELIUK/TSAN (SAC) def. SHAFFER/WOLF (PENN) 8-3
1. Ekaterina Kosminskaya (PENN) def. Aileen Tsan (SAC) 5-5, retired
2. Maria Meliuk (SAC) def. Maria Anisimova (PENN) 6-2, 6-1
3. Luba Schifris (SAC) def. Lauren Sadaka (PENN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Clarisse Baca (SAC) def. Alexa Ely (PENN) 6-1, 6-3
5. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) def. Emily Wolf (PENN) 7-5, 6-2
6. Joyce Martinez (SAC) def. Jacqueline Wong (PENN) 6-0, 6-0