PHILADELPHIA -Traveling to Tuskaloosa for the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, the University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team could not overcome No. 15 Alabama on Saturday, falling 5-0 with two matches going unfinished.
It was a tough day for the Quakers, who had trouble getting to Alabama with Winter Storm Jonas wreaking havoc in the Northeast. Kana Daniel was able to take her first set from No. 41 Andie Daniell, but after trailing 5-4, the match could not be completed.
Marta Kowalska was tied at six in her second set, but that match met a similar end and finished without completion.
Sonya Latycheva, Luba Vazhenina, and OJ Singh all had rough starts to the day, but bounced back in their second sets to take multiple games from the Crimson Tide.
Penn will be back at it again on Sunday against Purdue at 10 a.m. to finish off the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
#15 Alabama 5, Penn 0
1. #41 Andie Daniell (UA) vs. Kana Daniel (PENN) 2-6, 5-4, unfinished
2. #63 Erin Routliffe (UA) def. Ria Vaidya (PENN) 7-5, 6-1
3. Joanna Nena Savva (UA) vs. Marta Kowalska (PENN) 6-2, 6-6, unfinished
4. Danielle Spielmann (UA) def. Sonya Latycheva (PENN) 6-0, 6-4
5. Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Luba Vazhenina (PENN) 6-0, 6-4
6. Bennett Dunn (UA) def. OJ Singh (PENN) 6-2, 6-3
1. #48 Andie Daniell/Erin Routliffe (UA) def. Kana Daniel/Sonya Latycheva (PENN) 6-2
2. Joanna Nena Savva/Danielle Spielmann (UA) def. Ria Vaidya/Marta Kowalska (PENN) 6-4
3. Aryn Greene/Bennett Dunn (UA) vs. OJ Singh/Lina Qostal (PENN) 5-4, unfinished