PHILADELPHIA - Playing its final home match of the spring, the University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team fell 5-2 to Cornell Friday afternoon. With the loss, Penn's Ivy League title hopes have been dashed, falling to 3-3 in the conference. The Quakers will finish their spring season at No. 34 Columbia on Sunday.
The Big Red took the first four points on Friday to clinch the match before the Quakers could get on the board. However, that doesn't tell the whole story. With Penn trailing 3-0, Ria Vaidya battled back from 5-1 down in the first set to win 7-6 giving the Quakers hope. After a 6-1 loss in the first, Marta Kowalska fought back from 3-1 down in the second set to force a tie-breaker as well.
Kana Daniel earned her 11th win of the season in straight sets in the top spot. Daniel won 6-3 before needing a tie-breaker to win 7-6 in the second.
After Vaidya battled back to in the first set, she cruised to a 6-3 win in the second for the Quakers other point.
1. Cusick/D'Ascenzo (C) vs. Daniel/Latycheva, DNF
2. L. Stewart/Shah (C) def. Kowalska/Vaidya, 6-3
3. Iinuma/Stevens (C) def. Qostal/Vazhenina, 6-3
1. Kana Daniel (P) def. Marika Cusick, 6-3, 7-6
2. Alexandra D'Ascenzo (C) def. Sonya Latycheva, 6-1, 6-4
3. Ria Vaidya (P) def. Lizzie Stewart, 7-6, 6-3
4. Mariko Iinuma (C) def. Lina Qostal, 6-3, 6-4
5. Priyanka Shah (C) def. Marta Kowalska, 6-1, 7-6
6. Jane Stewart (C) def. Luba Vazhenina, 3-6, 6-4, (7-4)