PHILADELPHIA – On a chilly, snowy day to start the spring season, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team fell 4-3 to Old Dominion Saturday afternoon inside Levy Tennis Pavilion.
The Quakers (0-1) found themselves trailing 1-0 after doubles play, and were able to claw back, splitting the six individual matches, but ultimately coming up one match short. Penn competed in the home opener without two of its starters.
Penn was unable to capture a doubles match against the Monarchs, with one match that did not finish. The Quakers No. 2 duo Sonya Latycheva and Stephanie Do fell 6-2. Jaime Yapp-Shing and Srinidhi Raghavan, playing in the No. 3 position, were also defeated 6-2. Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel were in the middle ofa 2-2 match in the No. 1 position, before play was halted.
In singles play, the Quakers picked up victories from their top three positions, and went to a third set in the sixth position, but were unable to secure a win.
In the last match of the day to be completed, Eskenazi edged out a hard-fought match (6-3, 4-6, 10-8) in the No. 1 position against the Monarchs' Nikol Hristova. At No. 2 Daniel won in three sets (4-6, 6-4, 10-7) and Yapp-Shing won in straight sets (6-3, 6-3) in the No. 3 position.
Playing in the sixth position freshman Brigitte Desnoes forced a third set after a 5-7, 6-1 start, but fell in the finale, 11-9.
With the home opener completed, Penn will take on Philadelphia neighbor Drexel on Friday, Jan. 31 in Levy Tennis Pavilion at 1 p.m.
Old Dominion 4, Penn 3
1. Eskenazi (Penn) def. Hristova (ODU), 6-3, 4-6, 10-8.
2. Daniel (Penn) def. Vojcinakova (ODU), 4-6, 6-4, 10-7.
3. Yapp-Shing (Penn) def. Vukovic (ODU), 6-3, 6-3.
4. Khmolovska (ODU) def. Do (Penn), 6-4, 7-5.
5. Novakovic (ODU) def. Raghavan (Penn), 6-2, 6-2.
6. Esnal Olguin (ODU) def. Desnoes (Penn), 5-7, 6-1, 11-9
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (Penn) vs. Hristova/Esnal Olguin (ODU), 2-2 DNF.
2. Vojcinakova/Novakovic (ODU) def. Latycheva/Do (Penn), 6-2.
3. Khmolovska/Vukovic (ODU) def. Yapp-Shing/Raghavan, 6-2.