PHILADELPHIA The women’s tennis won sole possession of the Ivy League championship with their 7-0 win over Columbia today. It is the team's first Ivy title since 2002, and it will be their fifth NCAA appearance in seven years.
The Quakers won the doubles point easily, dropping only one of the three matches. At No. 1, freshman Ekaterina Kosminskaya and sophomore Lenka Snajdrova won 8-2, beating Carling Donovan and Milena Kachar. Charlotte Tansill and Amanda Avedissian won at No. 2, beating Nina Suda and Anna Varnay, 8-1. And at No. 3, senior Ashley Lostritto and junior Julia Koulbitskaya lost to Allison Cordell and Lauren Shearer, 8-4.
Penn also swept all six singles spots, dropping only one set in all. Kosminskaya had her toughest Ivy opponent of the year, but still didn’t drop a set in the No. 1 spot, beating Milena Kachar, 7-5, 7-5. Junior Yulia Rivelis had an easier time with Columbia’s Suda, beating her 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 2 spot. Koulbitskaya dominated Donovan in the No. 3 spot, defeating her 6-0, 6-0. Freshman Maria Anismova had the hardest time of any Quaker, but still came out on top, as she beat Shearer 5-7, 6-2 (10-3) in the No. 4 spot. Sophomore Lauren Sadaka finished the Ivy League season a perfect 7-0, and completed a perfect spring run, at15-0 in the Nos. 5 and 6 spots. Against Columbia, Sadaka beat Varnay in the No. 5 spot, 6-2, 6-2. And senior Ashley Lostritto finished her final match on Penn’s Lott Courts with a dominating 6-0, 6-0 win in the No. 6 spot over Allison Cordell.
Penn women’s tennis finished the regular season with a 17-4 overall record, and a perfect 7-0 Ivy League slate. With the outright Ivy League title, the Quakers clinched an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. The women’s NCAA tennis selection announcements will take place Tuesday, May 1 on ESPNews at approximately 2:45 p.m. ET.
Penn 7, Columbia 0
1) Ekaterina Kosminskaya/Lenka Snajdrova (P) def. Carling Donovan/Milena Kachar (Col.), 8-2
2) Charlotte Tansill/Amanda Avedissian (P) def. Nina Suda/Anna Varnay (Col.), 8-1
3) Allison Cordell/Lauren Shearer (Col.) def. Ashley Lostritto/Julia Koulbitskaya (P), 8-4
1) Ekaterina Kosminskaya (P) def. Milena Kachar (Col.), 7-5, 7-5
2) Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Nina Suda (Col.), 6-0, 6-2
3) Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Carling Donovan (Col.),6-0, 6-0
4) Maria Anismova (P) def. Lauren Shearer (Col.), 5-7, 6-2 (10-3)
5) Lauren Sadaka (P) def. Anna Varnay (Col.), 6-2, 6-2
6) Ashley Lostritto (P) def. Allison Cordell, 6-0, 6-0