PHILADELPHIA The women’s tennis team continued their domination of the Ivy League today, with a 7-0 win over Harvard. The defending champions were no match for the Quakers, as a depleted line-up lost in every singles spot. The only victory for the Crimson came at No. 2 doubles, where Lena Litvak and Julia Forgie beat Julia Koulbitskaya and Yulia Rivelis, 8-4.
But even that wasn’t enough for Harvard, as Penn won the doubles points with wins in the Nos. 1 and 3 spots. Ekaterina Kosminskaya and Lenka Snajdrova won in the No. 1 spot, 8-1, over Preethi Mukundan and Elizabeth Brook. And Amanda Avedissian and Charlotte Tansill clinched the doubles point with their 8-3 win over Vilsa Curto and Rachel Gottlieb in the No. 3 spot.
The momentum stayed with the Quakers as they moved into the singles match-ups. Julia Koulbitskaya was the first to earn a win, as Brook retired in the first set, with Koulbitskaya up, 1-0. Amanda Avedissian was next to earn a win in the No. 6 spot, as she beat Gottlieb, 6-2, 6-1. Sophomore Lauren Sadaka maintained her undefeated record in singles, as she beat Curto in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 5 spot. Charlotte Tansill had a big win over Forgie, after she dropped the first set, 2-6. She came back to win 6-1, 6-2, and take another point for Penn in the No. 4 spot. Freshman Ekaterina Kosminskaya, ranked No. 112 in the nation, had an easy win over Litvak, beating her 7-5, 6-3 in the No. 1 spot. And junior Yulia Rivelis completed the sweep of Harvard, when she beat Mukundan, 6-2, 7-5 in the No. 2 spot.
With the win, the No. 51 Quakers stand at 14-4 overall, and 4-0 in the league. They will look to continue their winning streak against Dartmouth tomorrow, as they travel to Hanover for a noon match-up.
No. 51 Penn 7, Harvard 0
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5, 4, 1, 2
1. No. 112 Kate Kosminskaya (P) def. Lena Litvak (H), 7-5, 6-3
2. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Preethi Mukundan (H), 6-2, 7-5
3. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Elizabeth Brook (H), 1-0 (ret.)
4. Charlotte Tansill (P) def. Julia Forgie (H), 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Lauren Sadaka (P) def. Vilsa Curto (H), 6-2, 6-1
6. Amanda Avedissian (P) def. Rachel Gottlieb (H), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Lenka Snajdrova/Kosminskaya (P) def. Mukundan/Brook (H), 8-1
2. Litvak/Forgie (H) def. Kolbitskaya/Rivelis (P), 8-4
3. Avedissian/Tansill (P) def. Curto/Gottlieb (H), 8-3