IRVINE, Calif - The University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team fell to UC Irvine 4-3 on Sunday. Penn won at the No.1 and 2 spots in doubles to clinch the point, but fell in four singles matches.
Yulia Rivelis and Julia Koulbitskaya, playing together for the first time this spring, won at the No. 1 spot 8-3 over Bela Mijic and Jayme Hu. At the No. 2 spot, Raluca Ciochina an Alexis Plukas defeated Inna Agabadian and Heidi Kaloi 8-4 to clinch the point.
Agababian quickly tied the match 1-1 with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Alexis Plukas in the No. 2 match. UCI took a 2-1 lead when Ali Borowicz defeated senior Sara Schiffman 6-2, 6-1. The Anteaters won the next two matches to put the match away. Rivelis and Michelle Mitchell won their matches. Rivelis took down Becky Bernhard 7-5, 6-7, 11-9. Mitchell also won in three sets defeating Mijic 4-6, 6-2, 6-1.
The loss drops Penn to 4-3 on the season. They be in action again on Wednesday, March 8 when they travel to Tuscon, Ariz. to take on Arizona.
UC Irvine 4, No. 58 Penn 3
1. Yulia Rivelis/Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Bela Mijic/Jayme Hu (UCI) 8-3
2. Raluca Ciochina/Alexis Plukas (P) def. Inna Agababian/Heidi Kaloi (UCI) 8-4
3. Becky Bernhard/Ashley Siddall (UCI) def. Michelle Mitchell/Caroline Stanislawski (P) 8-6
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Becky Bernhard (UCI) 7-5, 6-7, 11-9
2. Inna Agababian (UCI) def. Alexis Plukas (P) 6-1, 6-3
3. Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Bela Mijic (UCI) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Ashley Siddall (UCI) def. Caroline Stanislawski (P) 6-3, 6-4
5. Heidi Kaloi (UCI) def. Raluca Ciochina (P) 7-5, 6-1
6. Ali Borowicz (UCI) def. Sara Schiffman (P) 6-2, 6-1