HANOVER, N.H. – Building momentum following its win over No. 63 Harvard on Saturday, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team pushed No. 37 Dartmouth to the brink Sunday afternoon, before falling 4-3 to the Big Green.
Penn (8-8, 1-4 Ivy) nearly pulled out the victory over Dartmouth in single matches, after dropping the doubles point to begin play. Dartmouth (15-5, 2-2 Ivy) picked up doubles wins in the No. 1 and 3 positions to claim the point.
As much it was the top three players in the lineup driving the Quakers on Saturday, on Sunday it was the No. 4-6 players that came through with victories for Penn.
Senior Alexandra Ion won in the sixth position 6-2, 6-4 followed by wins from freshmen Lina Qostal and Ria Vaidya. Qostal won 6-4, 6-1 in the fourth position and Vaidya won 6-1, 6-0 in the fifth position.
In the top spot for Penn, senior Sol Eskenazi went three sets with Dartmouth’s Taylor Ng, each going to a tiebreak. Eskenazi came up just short in the back-and-forth contest, falling 7-6(4), 6-7(5), 7-6(5).
Next for the Quakers will be their final weekend of competition and final Ivy League action. Penn will travel to Cornell next Friday, playing at 2 p.m., before hosting Columbia on Sunday at 12 p.m. On Sunday versus Columbia, Penn will celebrate its two seniors Sol Eskenazi and Alexandra Ion.
Dartmouth 4, Penn 3
1. Ng/Mathis (D) def. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P); 8-3
2. Daniel/Vaidya (P) vs. Okuna/Yan (D); 6-5, DNF
3. Schroeder/Kiven (D) def. Qostal/Vazhenina (P); 8-5
1. Ng (D) def. Eskenazi (P); 7-6(4), 6-7(5), 7-6(5)
2. Yan (D) def. Daniel (P); 6-0, 6-3
3. Mathis (D) def. Latycheva (P); 6-3, 6-1
4. Qostal (P) def. Crawford (D); 6-4, 6-1
5. Vaidya (P) def. Okuda (D); 6-1, 6-0
6. Ion (P) def. Schroeder (D); 6-2, 6-4