PHILADELPHIA - The Penn women's tennis team was downed by No. 53 Harvard by a score of 7-0Saturday afternoon on Penn's Lott Tennis Courts. Harvard improved to 11-7 overall and 3-1 in Ivy play, while the Quakers fell to 4-13 on the season and 0-5 against Ancient Eight opponents.
The Crimson earned the doubles point taking wins in all three spots. Freshman Emma Whitfield lost a tough battle to Harvard's Samantha Gridleyat No. 6 singles. After winning the first set 6-4, a back-and-forth second set went in favor of Gridley, 6-3, as well as the tiebreaker, 10-5, to give Harvard the sweep.
The Quakers have just two matches left in the season. They travel to play Columbia next Friday at 2 p.m., then return to Lott Courts for the final contest of the season against Cornell, also at 2 p.m.
Harvard 7, Penn 0
1. Cao/Rosekrans (H) def. Ely/Wong (P), 8-0
2. Tachibana/Norton (H) def. Rodin/Wolf (P), 8-2
3. Davis/Gridley (H) def. DePaoli/Whitfield (P), 8-3
1. Holly Cao (H) def. Alexa Ely (P), 6-1, 6-2
2. Hideko Tachibana (H) def. Emily Wolf (P), 6-2, 7-5
3. Kristin Norton (H) def. Jacqueline Wong (P), 6-2, 6-1
4. Samantha Rosekrans (H) def. Jules Rodin (P), 6-2, 6-3
5. Alexandra Lehman (H) def. Daniela DePaoli (P), 6-4, 6-4
6. Samantha Gridley (H) def. Emma Whitfield (P), 4-6, 6-3 (10-5)