LAS VEGAS – The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team got back on track Wednesday afternoon, defeating UNLV 5-2, in its final match of its spring break trip out West.
Penn (6-4) had fallen in its previous two matches to No. 51 Saint Mary’s College and No. 33 Arizona State, but was able to bounce back with the victory over UNLV (5-7).
After winning their first five doubles points of the spring, the Quakers had dropped their last four prior to Wednesday. Penn returned to form versus the Rebels, claiming versus the doubles point with victories in first and third position. Senior Sol Eskenazi and junior Sonya Latycheva cruised to a 6-0 victory in the top spot, while freshmen Lina Qostal and Ria Vaidya picked up the Quakers first match in the No. 3 position all spring, 6-4.
In singles play Eskenazi won in straight sets in the No. 1 position for Penn , while sophomore Kana Daniel picked up the victory in the second position leading 6-1, 3-0 when her opponent retired.
Latycheva notched her seventh win of the season in singles play, with a three set victory 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. Penn’s final singles match victory came in the fifth position from freshman Ria Vaidya, winning 6-1, 6-3.
The Quakers return to competition on March 20 when they take on visiting Georgetown in Philadelphia, beginning at 2:30 p.m.
Penn 5, UNLV 2
1. Sol Eskenazi/Sonya Latycheva (PENN) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako/Mercedes Lopez Valez (UNLV); 6-0
2. Santa Shumilina/Paola Artiga (UNLV) vs. Alexandra Ion/Kana Daniel (PENN); DNF
3. Lina Qostal/Ria Vaidya (PENN) def. Alexis Garrett/Iren Kotseva (UNLV); 6-4
1. Sol Eskenazi (PENN) def. Santa Shumilina (UNLV); 6-4, 7-5
2. Kana Daniel (PENN) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV); 6-1, 3-0, ret.
3. Sonya Latycheva (PENN) def. Iren Kotseva (UNLV); 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Paola Artiga (UNLV) def. Lina Qostal (PENN); 7-5, 6-3
5. Ria Vaidya (PENN) def. Mercedes Lopez Valez (UNLV); 6-1, 6-3
6. Alexis Garrett (UNLV) def. Luba Vazhenina (PENN); 7-6, 7-5