PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team ended its regular season with an Ivy League victory, and sent seniors Stephanie Do and Jaime Yapp-Shing off on a winning note, defeating Cornell, 5-2, on Sunday afternoon.
The Penn seniors both won their singles matches in their final starts and secured the match for the Quakers. Do claimed the third point for Penn, winning 7-5, 6-3 in the sixth position. Moments later, Yapp-Shing clinched the fourth point, winning her match in the fourth position 7-5, 7-5.
Penn (8-10, 1-6 Ivy) was able to notch its first league win by jumping out to a 1-0 lead after doubles. The duo of Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel won, 8-2, in the first position, while Do and Luba Vazhenina rolled to an 8-1 victory in the third position.
Also in singles play, Penn saw Eskenazi win in the first position and Sonya Latycheva win in the third position.
The win against Cornell (7-10, 0-7 Ivy) closed out the spring season for the women’s tennis team. The senior duo were recognized for their contributions to the women’s tennis program prior to the match.
Penn 5, Cornell 2
1. Eskenazi (P) def. Tannenbaum (C); 7-5, 6-2.
2. D’Ascenzo (C) def. Daniel (P): 6-4, 6-2.
3. Latycheva (P) def. Cusick (P); 6-3, 3-6, 2-2 (10-6).
4. Yapp-Shing (P) def. Comolli (C); 7-5, 7-5.
5. Frazier (C) def. Vazhenina (P); 6-4, 6-3.
6. Do (P) def. Kung (C); 7-5, 6-3.
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (P) def. Cuscik/D’Ascenzo (C); 8-2.
2. Kung/Tanenbaum (C) vs. Latycheva/Yapp-Shing; 5-6 DNF
3. Do/Vazhenina (P) def. Comolli/Frazier (C); 8-1.