RICHMOND, Va. - In their first match of the season against a team ranked higher than them, the No. 58 University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team lost to No. 34 Virginia Commonwealth 4-0 at Thalhimer Tennis Center on Saturday morning.
After losing the doubles point, the Quakers would look for revenge in singles, but would notfind any. The Rams stifled Penn winning three matches in straight sets. Due to time constraints the match was stopped once VCU clinched their fourth point.
The loss drops Penn to 3-1 on the season.The Red and Blue will remain in Richmondone more day and take onthe University of Richmond at 9 a.m. on Sunday.
VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH 4 PENN 0
1. Olga Borisova/Marianna Yuferova (V) def. Yulia Rivelis/Alexis Plukas (P) 8-1
2. Vera Petrashevitch/ Tatsiana Uvarova (V) def. Julia Koulbitskaya/Michelle Mitchell (P) 8-4
3. Viktoria Konstantinova/Camille Ripert (V) def. Raluca Ciochina/Caroline Stanislawski (P) 7-6(4)
1. Marianna Yuferova(V) def. Yulia Rivelis (P) 6-2, 6-0
2. Tatsiana Uvarova (V) def. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) 6-1, 6-1
3. Viktoria Konstantinova (V) vs. Alexis Plukas (P) DNF
4. Olga Borisova (V) def. Caroline Stanislawski (P) 6-2, 6-1
5. Vera Petrashevitch (V) vs. Raluca Ciochina (P) DNF
6. Gabrielle De Beaucoudrey (V) vs. Michelle Mitchell (P) DNF