PHILADELPHIA- The Penn women's tennis team earned a 7-0 victory over Saint Joseph's University Saturday afternoon at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. The Quakers improved to 2-1 on the season, while the Hawks fell to 2-4.
With Saint Joseph's competing in its first match of the spring season, Penn's experience certainly showed, as they dominated the outcome of nearly every match. In doubles play, the team of Emily Wolf and Jules Rodin topped the Hawks' Jhennifer Kedzierski and Laura Matz, 8-4. Alexa Ely and Charlotte Ezratty overcame their opponents 8-1, to earn the point for the Quakers. Daniela DePaoli and Emma Whitfield lost their first doubles match of the season to Maggie Mullaney and Sally Kalani Stainier in a tough 8-6 battle.
The Red and Blue swept the singles order, top to bottom, including Alexa Ely's commanding 6-2, 6-1 victory in the No. 1 position, and Whitfield's 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 5. Undefeated in both singles and doubles play, Ezratty continued her streak with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Stainier. Rodin, DePaoli, and Rose Schlecker also won their matches.
The Quakers are back in action Tuesday when they host Temple University at 4 p.m. at the Levy Tennis Pavilion.
1. Wolf/Rodin (P) def. Kedzierski/Matz (Y), 8-4
2. Ely/Ezratty (P) def. Walsh/Dowd (Y), 8-1
3. Mullaney/Stainier (Y) def. DePaoli/Whitfield (P), 8-6
1. Alexa Ely (P) def. Jhennifer Kedzierski (Y) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jules Rodin (P) def. Maggie Mullaney (Y) 6-2, 7-5
3. Daniela DePaoli (P) def. Laura Matz (Y) 6-3, 6-1
4. Charlotte Ezratty (P) def. Sally Kalani Stainier (Y) 6-2, 6-4
5. Emma Whitfield (P) def. Tara Walsh (Y) 6-1, 6-1
6. Rose Schlecker (P) def. Kate Dowd (Y) 6-3, 6-3