PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team opened its season on Tuesday defeating cross-city rival Temple 7-0. Penn won one doubles match and two singles matches by default.
At the No. 1 spot in doubles, Yulia Rivelis and Alexis Plukas defeated Ana Malesa and Yuri Kurashima 8-3 to put the Quakers on the board. Seniors Raluca Ciochina and Caroline Stanislawski won the doubles point for the Red and Blue by beating Sharanya Pattabi and Felicia Frazer 8-2. Sara Schiffman and Lauren Sadaka were awarded the third doubles point by default.
Penn was equally impressive in singles. The Quakers won all four matches played in straight sets. Rivelis, Stanislawski, Ciochina, and Michelle Mitchell all won their matches. Schiffman and Sadaka were once again awarded victories by default.
The Red and Blue will play again on Friday, Feb. 10 when they host Penn State at 3 p.m. at Levy Pavilion.
PENN 7 TEMPLE 0
1. Alexis Plukas/Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Ana Malesa/Yuri Kurashima (T) 8-3
2. Raluca Ciochina/Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Sharanya Pattabi/Felicia Frazier (T) 8-2
3. Sara Schiffman/Lauren Sadaka (P) def. Temple, default
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Ana Malesa (T) 6-2, 6-3
2. Caroline Stanislawski (P) def. Yuri Kurashima (T) 6-4, 6-2
3. Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Felicia Frazer (T) 6-0, 6-1
4. Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Barbara Oria Boer (T) 6-0, 6-2
5. Sara Schiffman (P) def. Temple, default
6. Lauren Sadaka (P) def. Temple, default