Penn Women’s Tennis on Facebook
PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team (9-4, 1-1 Ivy) get its bearings back on Friday afternoon, earning its first Ivy League victory of the season over Brown (6-8, 0-1) 4-3 at the Hamlin Tennis Center. The Quakers won the doubles point after a tight match at third doubles and followed that with a split in singles.
Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (11-1, 2-0) did it again on Friday, taking the match at first doubles with ease, 8-0. The 32nd-ranked duo in the country is now on an eight-match win streak with their win over the Bears top pair. After losing second doubles, the point came down to a tight match at the third flight. Stephanie Do and Alex Ion (5-2, 1-1) got back in the win column, earning Penn the overall doubles point, by taking the match in a tiebreak, 9-7.
Eskenazi (9-3, 1-1) found the winning ways once again after she defeated Misia Krasowski in straight sets at first singles. But, after Penn jumped out to the early lead, it fell behind when Do (8-5, 0-2) and Latycheva (9-3, 1-1) both lost at second and fourth singles, respectively. Fortunately the Quakers would go on two win the appropriate amount of matches as Jaime Yapp-Shing (5-2, 1-0) and Ion (6-7, 1-1) would go on to win their matches at third and fifth singles to clinch the victory. Srinidhi Raghavan (0-2, 0-1) closed out the day at No. 6, falling in straight sets after going to a tiebreak in the first.
The Quakers will be back out on the courts tomorrow afternoon when they host Yale at the Hamlin Tennis Center for a scheduled 2 p.m. start.
Penn 4, Brown 3
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Misia Krasowski (B); 6-2, 6-1
2. Hannah Camhi (B) def. Stephanie Do (P); 6-3, 6-2
3. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P) def. Sarah Kandath (B); 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Nikita Uberoi (B) def. Sonya Latycheva (P); 6-2, 6-4
5. Alex Ion (P) def. Ammu Mandalap (B); 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Olivia Hsu (B) def. Srinidhi Raghavan (P); 7-6(7), 6-3
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Krasowski/Camhi (B); 8-0
2. Mandalap/Uberio (B) def. Katherine Jania/Yapp-Shing (P); 8-4
3. Do/Ion (P) def. Kandath/Hsu (B); 9-7